Re: [LAU] (Slightly OT) New old music: Four

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 16 2014 - 05:06:52 EET

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 04:30:13PM +0100, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 9. Januar 2014, 16:52:14 schrieb Dave Phillips:
> > On 01/09/2014 04:47 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> > >
> > > Very enjoyable quiet, reflective tracks. Impressive results considering the
> > > equipment you had at the time.
> > >

> > Edogawa !
> >
> > What Will said. :) Good stuff.
>
> Thanks to everyone for the nice comments, I received very nice feedback on IRC as well!
>
> @Ken: yes, during a few years in the '70s (around age of 16 or so) ECM was my favourite stuff to listen to. I've never before heard of The Mermen though, I just read the wikipedia page on them, interesting, looks like I have to search youtube for some earfood...

Cool, although most of their ambient stuff isn't on YouTube. Their ambient, ECM-like tracks tended to be sandwiched on their earlier albums in between rockin surf tracks, and I couldn't find any examples online for you, unfortunately.

Youtube has to be the greatest thing for fandom though. And here are the Mermen in their youth, local heroes in their native habitat, on the bay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J_v3x2fppY

And, possibly my favorite song by them, although it's not in their ambient genre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKIYVm_YNhw

-ken