Re: [LAU] Filter arrangement - was- Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 01 2014 - 03:37:05 EEST

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Parallel arrangements have their place, e.g. for multiband
> compressors used for mastering. Regarding these you should
> be aware that such processing makes nonsense of whatever
> careful EQ you have done before. Multiband compression
> amounts an EQ that is changing all the time, and you usually
> have no idea of what exactly it is doing. If the mixing and
> mastering are done by the same person (as they usually are
> in our context), everything done in mastering could have
> been done better during the mix, e.g. by compressing tracks
> instead of the mix.

I have found this out from experience (already)... It didn't take very
long :) The good thing is that the project I wrecked with overall
changes has enough other defects in it to make it worth while redoing from
scratch. I am looking forward to trying out Ardour 3 to do drum tracks
from pads (my only choice right now). While I have been playing for a long
time, my experience in recording is very recent. The cure is practice. I
was quite a fan of midi when all I had was a few tracks of audio (I
started on 4 and 8 track) and putting TC on one track allowed me to add
lots of other tracks with a sequencer. It was fun, but I was just playing
around. I am more serious now, if not truely professional.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net