Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 01 2014 - 05:19:22 EEST

On 01/04/14 00:22, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 02:21:26PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Music has less to do with the skills to use a computer or the skills
>> about music theory and skills to play an instrument. Creativity is
>> independent of those skills.

Creativity, tools and toolmaking are tied very closely together. You want to
make stuff (anything ... music, a good meal, a picture ...) you'll most probably
want tools and then want to learn how to use them well. And a bit of theory,
some understanding of the medium you are using, doesn't hurt either. Finally to
communicate with others there is the matter of language, a shared vocabulary, a
shared set of references, a body of work already in existence to build on.
Understanding and using this is also part of theory.

Simon.