Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 02 2014 - 00:47:16 EEST

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 10:57:44PM +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Am 31.03.2014 23:03, schrieb Len Ovens:
> >
> > On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> >> Music isn't a competition about smartness.
> >
> > I think that is what was being said. Music today seems to be no longer
> > about communicating anything at all... merely soundiing somewhat pleasant,
> > or showing off some vocal (or other) gymnastics seems to be most of it.
>
> I dont see that. I think, that today music is in the best shape I
> experienced since I taped the radio shows in memoriam John Lennon back
> in 1981.

There's a daily program on RAI radio 3 (the cultural channel here
in Italy) called 'alza il volume' or in plain English 'pump up the
volume'. It keeps a look on the 'non mainstream' music scene. Much
of what it outputs is just entertaining and at times plainly boring,
but every now and then there will be some real gems. And most of
those gems are very probably produced using software such as Bitwig,
and would not exists without it. So in that sense you are certainly
right, this *is* an interesting time for music production, at no
time before there was such a range of tools available as we have
today. But at the same time there's an incredible number of people
who are using these tools but absolutely fail to produce anything
that stands out, to put it mildly.

If music is about 'communicating' anything, it should probably
(IMHO) first communicate itself. There's nothing more boring
than an artist trying to communicate his or her very personal
feelings, be they sorrow or anger. The very least you need is
a wider context that is relevant to others, and the music (or
any form of art) that will most strongly communicate anything
but itself will be the one that in which the creator himself
disappears completely.

Ciao,

--
FA