[LAU] regarding "quick & efficient"

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 02 2014 - 15:47:20 EEST

Greetings,

Reading an interview with Philippe Leroux in the Computer Music Journal,
when asked about spending 20 months on a 20-minute piece he replied :

"I try to spend as much time as I can with each piece before letting it
go into the world, so to speak. That allows me to re-read, to correct,
to refine the details, to add little things that enrich the musical
discourse in a manner that allows for as many levels of perception of
the work as possible during the process of composing. I like to have a
profound understanding of the piece; it is a daily two-way communication
that I sustain with it. That allows me to get to compositional levels
that are just not possible when you compose something fast. Then again,
having said that, in the real world, some works are written a lot faster
than that."

Best,

dp