Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Alex <linux@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 02 2014 - 19:30:27 EEST

On 04/02/2014 06:01 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 04/02/2014 05:55 PM, James Morris wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 17:50:29 +0200
>> Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway back on subject.
>>>
>>> I think what we learned in this thread is that the expectations of
>>> many [potential] linux audio users does not match the idea that many
>>> developers have in mind.
>>>
>> Also, we learn some people think their snobbish opinions about music
>> matter.
>>
> We might be able to do something about the former, the latter is much
> harder.
>
> best,
> robin
I was reminded some time ago, by a developer, that LA is made up of devs
choosing to scratch a particular itch, and they have the right to do
that without having to answer to anyone.

It was at that point that i took a step back, examined what i already
have as an LA user, picked out what i could use in my particular use
case, and discarded my efforts to present my use case, and offer user
help with tutorials, wikis, etc.. to the rest, whose apps i don't use.

It was a good reminder at the right time.

I'm no longer trying to contribute my user experience to LA almost full
time, which i did for over 5 years, with the personal and altruistic
intent of widening potential user base. I came to realize that many devs
don't want or need a bigger userbase, as their intent is not to chase
users, but write code that suits themselves, be it for academic
interest, personal use, enjoyment, whatever.

I learned that my many years of "mainstream" user experience using
commercial apps is not a desired commodity by all devs, in fact it's
quite the contrary, as many LA devs seek new and exciting ways of
designing their apps, and the way interested users might interact.

It's their call, not mine, in other words.

I finally "get it" about the user/dev relationship from most devs POV,
and have tempered my user expectations accordingly. In fact, i don't
expect anything anymore. If it works for me, then terrific, and i have
done/will contribute to specific projects financially or with my time
and effort while my user case is relevant.

I have a lot more of my increasingly valuable time (as i get older) to
pursue my own goals, rather than work for hours a day on "contributing",
simply for assuming my experience is desired, or wanted by the majority
of LA devs.

I can only apologise to those devs who felt i was wasting their time,
and missing their particular design point, or application design intent,
over these last ten years.

Lesson finally learnt.

Alex.