Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 04 2014 - 12:59:21 EEST

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 10:58:17AM +0200, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > Where anyone can publish anything of course the user needs to do a fair
> > bit of work filtering the worthwhile from the useless.
>
> replace 'useless' by 'broken' ... if you use have an unstable filter in
> your fx chain, you could either destroy your speakers or even worse:
> your ears.

or someone else's speakers or ears.

And having to do 'a fair bit of work' separating the crap from the
usable isn't going to improve a potential user's workflow either,
nor his first impression of what Linux Audio has to offer.

It's not just filters oscillating. I've seen delay lines blow
up, compressors going to infinite gain, and all sorts of things
producing loud bangs when connected, activated or coonfigured.
And those are just the potentially destructive 'features', we
are not even discussing basic processing quality.

Yet all this stuff gets distributed, listed on helpful websites
(look ! hundreds of plugins !), and nobody feels the need to
weed out the crap. Wonder why some people don't take Linux
Audio seriously ?

Ciao,

--
FA