Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 05 2014 - 15:50:04 EEST

On Fri, April 4, 2014 8:59 pm, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 10:58:17AM +0200, Tim Blechmann wrote:
>
>> > Where anyone can publish anything of course the user needs to do a
>> fair
>> > bit of work filtering the worthwhile from the useless.
>>
>> replace 'useless' by 'broken' ... if you use have an unstable filter in
>> your fx chain, you could either destroy your speakers or even worse:
>> your ears.
>
> or someone else's speakers or ears.
>
> And having to do 'a fair bit of work' separating the crap from the
> usable isn't going to improve a potential user's workflow either,
> nor his first impression of what Linux Audio has to offer.

It's the same on every platform. Look at the Android play store for
example. Android being the most popular OS on the planet.

> It's not just filters oscillating. I've seen delay lines blow
> up, compressors going to infinite gain, and all sorts of things
> producing loud bangs when connected, activated or coonfigured.
> And those are just the potentially destructive 'features', we
> are not even discussing basic processing quality.
>
> Yet all this stuff gets distributed, listed on helpful websites
> (look ! hundreds of plugins !), and nobody feels the need to
> weed out the crap. Wonder why some people don't take Linux
> Audio seriously ?

That's a strange argument to make. As far as I know there is no one paying
anyone to curate the penultimate collection of perfectly working open
source plugins.

However there are several people who go to very great lengths to weed out
the crap and produce very high quality Multimedia Distros or collections
as a result, yourself included. Seems like you are putting your own hard
work down or at least making it appear as though you think your work is
irrelevant to the discussion.

You also dissed several other audio plugin developers in the process. We
all know where you were going with the comment but you have cast the net
pretty damn wide with this one. Almost like you are asking for punishment.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd