Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 05 2014 - 17:18:36 EEST

On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 11:50:04PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Fri, April 4, 2014 8:59 pm, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > It's not just filters oscillating. I've seen delay lines blow
> > up, compressors going to infinite gain, and all sorts of things
> > producing loud bangs when connected, activated or coonfigured.
> > And those are just the potentially destructive 'features', we
> > are not even discussing basic processing quality.
> >
> > Yet all this stuff gets distributed, listed on helpful websites
> > (look ! hundreds of plugins !), and nobody feels the need to
> > weed out the crap. Wonder why some people don't take Linux
> > Audio seriously ?
> >

> That's a strange argument to make. As far as I know there is no one paying
> anyone to curate the penultimate collection of perfectly working open
> source plugins.

The sites and collections do exist even if no-one is paying for them.
If their curators don't care about the quality of the stuff they list
that is their choice.

> You also dissed several other audio plugin developers in the process. We
> all know where you were going with the comment but you have cast the net
> pretty damn wide with this one. Almost like you are asking for punishment.

I didn't mention any names. The only time when I have done so
is on the dpl1 and at1 pages of my website.

I could add a few if I wanted. E.g. a four band parametric EQ
of which only the first section works, that can produce a peak
of +30 dB when you set if for a -10 dB shelf, and that has some
other problems as well. I wonder if the author ever tested it.

Ciao,

--
FA