Re: [LAU] PulseAudio on top of Jack

From: Bill Gribble <grib@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 13 2014 - 20:07:07 EEST

> On Apr 13, 2014, at 12:46, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> AFAIK jack can't be used if you suspend/hibernate. I might be mistaken.

You're mistaken :) I have had some problems with FireWire and suspend in the past, but lately no trouble with builtin or usb audio. Haven't really used FW in 6-8 months so it may be better too.

> IMO you anyway should get rid of PA, resp. decide to use PA or jack,
> depending too your needs. I can't see an advantage in using both at the
> same time.

It can be pretty convenient to have both working when you want to play some files for reference using whatever music player you want, or some random desktop AV stuff, or open music in a browser without worrying about Jack support in apps or a fragile pipeline like the gstreamer jack endpoints.

Or record a screencast, where you are screencasting audio-producing apps, using an external mic for narration and recording the audio into Ardour.

I think of the split as "I let pulse manage desktop audio, Jack does the real work."

Thanks,
Bill Gribble