[LAU] OT? Downloaded youtube videos with subtitles

From: Ivan K <ivan_521521@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2014 - 00:56:23 EEST

I was very excited to find a video of the
complete
Tristan and Isolde on YouTube recently,
complete with
English subtitles.

I used the youtube-dl utility to grab the video,
but
when I began playing the copy on my hard-drive
with
totem, to my horror, the English subtitles
were
not there! To repeat, the subtitles are on
youtube.com but not in the .webm file that
downloaded with youtube-dl.

Can someone coach me how to download a version
with the English subtitles? Or are there subtitles
in my downloaded version and totem is just not
playing them?

Thank you for your help.

P.S. On the totem menu under View, there
is a
command called Subtitles
but this prompts me for
another file.
Is there a subtitle file in addition
the video file that I need to download from
youtube? Thanks again.