Re: [LAU] M-Audio Fast Track Pro: unreliable, distorted recording

From: Morten H <linux-audio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2014 - 17:50:04 EEST

> yes, try:
> CONFIG_USB_DYNAMIC_MINORS is not set
> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is not set
> Guillaume

I have searched for a long time for other people who have this problem, and
this is the only place I have found an exact description of what I am
experiencing:

Lewis Pike's problems with his M-Audio Fast Track Pro match mine almost
exactly.

When I connect the FTP in order to record (just ordinary S16_LE, 48000KHz,
stereo), one of three things happen: Either it just works, or I get an
accompanying hiss or crackling sound, following the recorded material in
intensity, or I just get insane noise that drowns out everything. The three
cases occur equally often more or less, but it's hard to tell.

In the second case (the one with the crackling sound) I have tried dumping
the recorded data to see if I could discover any pattern, and apparently the
most and least significant bytes are always equal for all samples. This
problem can occur at any time by the way, for example after a couple of
successful recordings, suddenly I get one with the crackle problem. This is
maybe the most annoying thing, the fact that I can't reconnect the FTP until
it works, and then rely on it to continue working.

I record with arecord, doing something like this: arecord -D hw:1,1 -d 3 -c
2 -r 48000 -f S16_LE test.wav

After reading this thread, I tried loading the usb audio module with
modprobe snd_usb_audio vid=0x0763 pid=0x2012 device_setup=0x03 enable=1
nrpacks=1

And then recorded something with arecord -D hw:1,1 -d 3 -c 2 -r 48000 -f
S24_3BE -t raw test.raw

And I get exactly the same result Lewis Pike described: Sometimes it works,
and I get a perfect 24bit recording, and sometimes I just get loud white
noise.

I have checked the kernel options, but I don't have either
CONFIG_USB_DYNAMIC_MINORS, or CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND enabled, though I can't
find CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND at all in my kernel. I'm using kernel version
3.12.13 by the way.

I really hope somebody can help with this, beause the FTP is completely
useless to me as it is.

Thanks in advance,
Morten Højer
Denmark