Re: [LAU] hardware - Intel CPUs

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 18 2014 - 10:52:02 EEST

david wrote:
> Toshiba laptops used to be really easy to use with Linux; Toshiba used "bog
> standard hardware" (as a friend of mine called it) and everything had full,
> mature Linux support. Don't know about current Toshibas. They've probably
> been pulled further into the Windows orbit since then.

Ack! I had a terrible experience with a Toshiba laptop from
maybe five years ago, a Satellite. The fan control didn't
work at all under Linux. None of the toshiba-specific kernel
modules helped. I needed for the fan to turn on during the
power-on sequence, and then, after boot, needed to turn down
the CPU frequency to the lowest setting, or it would
overheat. It was always iffy, and I had to prop up the
laptop on top of some improvised standoffs so that the
airflow would be sufficient.

When I finally got a new laptop, I ended up running a
vaccuum cleaner with the hose again against the outflow vent
for a couple hours while I made a final copy of the
important hard disk partitions.

I had forgotten this horrible trauma until you reminded me.
Thanks :-)

Joel

--
Joel Roth