Re: [LAU] hardware - Intel CPUs

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 18 2014 - 22:57:44 EEST

On 04/17/2014 09:52 PM, Joel Roth wrote:
> david wrote:
>> Toshiba laptops used to be really easy to use with Linux; Toshiba used "bog
>> standard hardware" (as a friend of mine called it) and everything had full,
>> mature Linux support. Don't know about current Toshibas. They've probably
>> been pulled further into the Windows orbit since then.
>
> Ack! I had a terrible experience with a Toshiba laptop from
> maybe five years ago, a Satellite. The fan control didn't
> work at all under Linux. None of the toshiba-specific kernel
> modules helped. I needed for the fan to turn on during the
> power-on sequence, and then, after boot, needed to turn down
> the CPU frequency to the lowest setting, or it would
> overheat. It was always iffy, and I had to prop up the
> laptop on top of some improvised standoffs so that the
> airflow would be sufficient.
>
> When I finally got a new laptop, I ended up running a
> vaccuum cleaner with the hose again against the outflow vent
> for a couple hours while I made a final copy of the
> important hard disk partitions.
>
> I had forgotten this horrible trauma until you reminded me.
> Thanks :-)

Your Toshiba is much newer than any of the three we had here (have only
one left, my wife's)! We've never had any problems with fan or other
thermal control on any of them, except the very oldest. When it turned
12, it started overheating. The fan would run like crazy with little
effect. Once the machine shut down when it got too hot.

I probably could have fixed it by opening it up and cleaning it out
again, but the new laptop was arriving and I decided I no longer needed
two laptops. Sitting it on a spare laptop cooler kept it working long
enough. (We live in rather warm area of Hawaii without A/C.)

But through it all, Linux supported all the Toshiba laptop features
without any complaints for hoop-jumping.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden