Re: [LAU] LAC - Programme

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2014 - 22:02:33 EEST

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 18:43:13 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 07:03:40PM +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:
>
> > But with all of these historical big-city stations, transferring across
> > the city is difficult -- there's always a central zone and the stations
> > are on the perimeter. Same in London, same historically in Berlin (dunno
> > what the situation there is like now?) and so on. Cities that were
> > redeveloped after WWII often got central stations (Birmingham, Brussels
> > etc) but they're not always very attractive either.
>
> Berlin has a rather impressive central station now (there's a 'Megastructures'
> episode on Youtube about it). Brussels central is really a small station as
> there are only 6 tracks on the north-south link. All international trains depart
> or arrive at Brussels South (aka 'Midi') and many don't even stop at central
> even if they have to pass through it. A really nice station is Antwerp central,
> it has a single span steel and glass roof, but there are now three levels below
> the original one. You can look up from the lowest one up to the roof.
>
> Ciao,

Back in 2003 I had a holiday in Germany travelling entirely by train. It was a
fascinating experience (from many points of view). What struck me was the
similarity between those, and the English ones of the same period. The rail
companies were proud of their works and built for style as well as function -
not so much these days :(

One that I found quite fascinating was Leipzig with its two identical entrances!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk