Re: [LAU] LAC - Programme

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2014 - 23:06:26 EEST

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 08:02:33PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:

> Back in 2003 I had a holiday in Germany travelling entirely by train. It was a
> fascinating experience (from many points of view). What struck me was the
> similarity between those, and the English ones of the same period. The rail
> companies were proud of their works and built for style as well as function -
> not so much these days :(

In the era before the channel tunnel I used to travel a lot on
the Ostend - Dover ferries. I remember the old Dover train station
(demolished AFAIK). Yellow bricks, cast iron stairs painted in
bright red, and a smell typical of all British train stations...
And of course the MI6 man scrutinising arriving foreigners - easy
to spot: doesn't move and is the only one wearing a suit and tie.

Ciao,

--
FA