Re: [LAU] Audio interface latency measurements

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 21 2014 - 13:22:36 EEST

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:51:54AM +0200, Robert Jonsson wrote:

> Follow up question: from a theoretical perspective, is it likely a usb
> 2.0 interface would have similar transport latency as firewire? Usb 1
> I suppose would be worse due to lower clockspeed.

Clock frequency determines the amount of data per time that can
be tranported, not latency. If a slower clock can still handle
the data rate then there is no reason why it should make the
data arrive 'later'.

Every technology will have its particular features and limits.
Nothing will beat a PCI(e) card if that card is designed well.
USB probably won't give you the same advantage at 96 and 192
kHz Firewire offers. But generalisations can be misleading,
and there's really no alternative to measuring each device.

Ciao,

--
FA