Re: [LAU] Kxstudio RT kernel vs low latency

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan.osaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 24 2014 - 22:03:27 EEST

> Significant, no! But when it comes to MIDI productions the RT helps to
> reduce MIDI jitter.
>
> Kubuntu with Ubuntu Studio packages and a lightweight WM/DE, not KDE
> only:
> [rocketmouse@email-addr-hidden ~]$ ls -hAl /mnt/saucy/boot/vm*rt
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.6M Nov 26 2013 /mnt/saucy/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.13-rt14-1-rt
>
> For my Arch Linux I will build the current 3.8.13.14-rt31 soon. On my
> machine rt kernels > 3.8 lock the machine.
>
> You perhaps should test the latest 3.14.

Hmm, ok. I'll check it out.

I gotta figure tht the folks pulling kxstudio together have done the testing. I've been using Kx for awhile now, aware of the issues using heavy weight desktops on older gear... But in testing with Enlightenment, also killing all unnecessary processes, it really appears to make very little difference to how firewire interface performs.

Running Mixbus 2.5, 8 mono trx, 5 Harrison plugins (EQ, master EQ, etc). Older laptop... Sony Vaio dual core 1.6ghz, 2g, firewire Maudio solo. Disabled ACPI stuff, wireless and so forth. 256 / 3 is barely stable with plugins not running w/ record.

My quad core i5 w/ 8 gigs has no trouble with the heavy lifting down to 64 / 2, other than watching heat buildup coz of my modified case (quiet cooling). This laptop is just a light weight secondary simple station for basic stuff. Just curious how close to the best case performance marker I am with comparative low end set ups out there.

Cheers!