Re: [LAU] Debian DAW experiences

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2014 - 22:52:55 EEST

On Mon, 1 Sep 2014, David Christensen wrote:

> Other people agree that small is better:
>
> http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein
>
> -> Misattributed
>
> http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/E._F._Schumacher
>
> Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
> violent. It takes a touch of genius—and a lot of courage to move in
> the opposite direction.

Ok, so why do you expect some one to do this? Most of us are not genius. I
do not think anyone is saying bigger is better, but how much
responsability are you taking for your own need? How much learning have
you put into your needs? How much study and learning did the original
author of the above quote put into his life that he was able to make this
connection? How much time and energy are you asking soomeone else to put
into something that fits you exactly? With OSx, you pay someone to do
that, with Linux, the download is the only cost, but you may need to do
some setup. PCs are not made for low latency audio out of the box. Mac
computers are supposed to be, it is at least a consideration in the
design. With a PC the builder needs to choose what goes in their PC and
how they connect things and what sw they use and how it fits together
carefully if they wish to get similar results... nothing is free, you must
choose if you will pay in money or time, I guess. The more optimization,
the more time required. Most of us are looking for low latency performance
first... and often never get to size of install. We only have so much
time.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net