Re: [LAU] Debian DAW experiences

From: David Christensen <dpchrist@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2014 - 23:12:53 EEST

linux-audio-user:

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. :-)

Here's the updated wish-list for a DAW Linux distribution:

1. Works correctly.

2. Is efficient in both space and time.

3. Offers a kernel suitable for DAW use at install time.

4. Offers current DAW software binary packages.

5. Provides simple OOTB *user* and *administrator* experiences -- e.g.
minimal technical wrenching around under the hood.

6. Provides small (<32 MB) bootable USB and/or CD installer images.

7. Provides a package manager that only downloads what the user
requests or approves.

8. Provides an optional package caching proxy server (for networks of
machines that share an Internet connection).

Notes:

a. Music is my hobby. I plan to use the DAW for home/ amateur projects
and/or performances.

b. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron E1505 with an Intel Core Duo T2250 @
1.73 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and Intel 520 series 180 GB SSD. I understand that
this machine is obsolete and will have limited capabilities. I am
primarily evaluating the Linux distribution and the software it
contains. I have more powerful hardware available if/ when needed.

I will post updates as I work to find a solution.

David