Re: [LAU] OT: email clients

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 07 2014 - 16:59:52 EEST

On 06/09/14 01:49, Kazakore wrote:

> When I tried to configure with POP3 with Thunderbird to my Hotmail account (I
> know!) it repeatedly told me my password was incorrect, whereas it instantly
> configured correctly with IMAP. Therefore all my comparisons so far have been
> with IMAP, although extra strain on the internet connection (seems caching works
> reasonably with Thunderbird thougg, I just have niggles with interface things.)
> Also read Alpine and others actually work far better with IMAP than with POP...
>
> Also don't know if that was an Hotmail/Outlook server issue or Thunderbird not
> liking POP3 but as long as it can cache within a session I can live with it not
> always keeping an offline version (although in some ways I would prefer it did.)

I'm not wrapped in Thunderbird, but it does provide the things you seem to be
after and can deal with big folders reasonably (I keep copies locally, and keep
list folders from getting too big by moving old emails to a subfolder each year
.... but actually it was several years of this list before size became an
issue). I keep meaning to move to mutt, but actually doing the move has always
seemed too much hassle.

There are options in each account for keeping messages offline with IMAP
accounts, on a per folder basis in "Advanced", in "Synchronisation and Storage"

POP works fine with each POP server I am using, so it may be a Hotmail issue?

"Copies & Folders" lets you choose where your sent messages are stored, if in
the same folder then they will be there in threaded view. Threaded view is
annoyingly hidden, options sometimes hard to find ... but keyboard shortcuts are
very extensive and work for me, and once set up to suit it does what I need.

An add-on and an appropriate font means messages show monotype text mode and I
can look at html if I want.

Simon