Re: [LAU] control surfaces

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 11 2014 - 00:00:49 EEST

On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 21:33 +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 22:02:17 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Keep in mind that the 360° of rotary knobs only should be used for some
> > tasks. IMO it would be wise to use less than 360°, to simulate the
> > radius of potentiometers. But I don't know how it's done by digital
> > music mixing consoles.
>
> Why? What's special about 270 (or so) degrees. It was only ever purely a
> mechanical limitation.

For some tasks it could be useful to use more than 360°. Btw. even some
potentiometers provide more than 360°, there isn't a mechanical
limitation. If you e.g. pan from left to right, you likely will use
around 180° only. Such a pan likely is done from around 9 o'clock to
around 3 o'clock and not from one end to the other. IOW if you want to
keep a common audio engineering work flow, stay with what is common for
audio gear, IOW around 270° for the full range from one to the other
end, so for e.g. panning a good ergonomically handling from around 9
o'clock to around 3 o'clock is provided.

My 2 Cents,
Ralf