[LAU] another cpu question

From: Ede Wolf <listac@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 13 2014 - 16:44:33 EEST

Hello all,

I may be putting together a box dedicated just to act as a multitrack
effects unit - without planning any recording. The effects stack will
for most channels most likely look like this: reverb, delay, EQ and
maybe one of flanger, chorus or rather seldomly compression. Anyway,
just the classics, planning so far to only to install the calf and
invada lv2 packages. Though I am open for recommendations here, too. And
of course I am looking for a suitable effects host/rack.

However, I do suppose, the reverb will be the most cpu consuming item
and I am wondering, what feature an a cpu should I be primarily looking
for? I guess, for effects, especially reverb, the floating point
performance will be paramount?

As HT generally has a bad reputation for audio, currently, the AMD
FX-8350 is on top of my list, as the floating point preformance is said
to be rather good and lots of cores should be ideal for running lots of
effects in parallel - though unfortunately not every core does have its
on FPU. As it is not going to run 24/7, the insane energy consumption is
somewhat acceptable.

But, beeing no coder, I may be completely off track with my conceptions
here, so I am asking for some more insight or alternative
recommendations, maybe even with a short reasoning

Thanks

Ede