Re: [LAU] mplayer no go with snd-hdsp

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2014 - 08:19:41 EEST

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, Paul Davis wrote:

> The multichannel RME devices do not support being opened with less
> than full channel counts or with the wrong sample format. Any approach
> that ends up using plughw:CARDNAME should work just fine. For some,
> using such a device name will be deep kung-fu, for others not so much.
> And it may depend on the application how easy it is.

The last part is the operative part here -- using a Multiface as a
general purpose audio out will depend on all your apps all being able to
handle a single device with 18 i/o's. Some programs will handle that
better than others, and I've seen some fairly involved .asoundrc files
posted on here in the past to try and get around that for people who
really badly want it to be their general desktop audio device.
(PulseAudio handles the situation particularly poorly.)

It's probably best to let a motherboard sound chip do that and keep the
Multiface only for recording.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky