Re: [LAU] master levels (and dithering)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Feb 03 2015 - 14:19:15 EET

Peder,

are you aware about the zero-copy issue?
If you mix e.g. all your Qtractor tracks and master them to a stereo
Qtractor track, this digital mix does cause a loss of sound quality.
If you should be that hearing-impaired, that you even are unable to
notice this, then take a look at spectrograms. Likely there's a very
old thread somewhere in the Qtractor mailing list archive.
It's not a Qtractor issue, it's a jackd issue.
Linux audio is full of pitfalls.

Peder, any hints for this problem:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 22:25:49 +0100, Atte wrote:
>I had a fairly unpleasant experience last weekend. A band (indie/folk)
>in which I play and for whom I also did/does some recordings + mixes
>for, were played on national danish radio on the national chart. The
>unpleasant part was that our song sounded really wimpy compared to the
>other tracks.

ABX test? Is Atte the most bad audio engineer on this planet?

Whitewashing vs reality. Perhaps Atte is able to find out how many of
the other bands used Linux too.

Never ever the problem was that the other bands used more compression.
And I don't think that Atte is the most bad audio engineer. I suspect
that he's a victim of Linux audio pitfalls. Next time Atte should
compare his mastering with recordings of other bands, instead of
trusting the Linux audio community.

It's possible to do good recordings with Linux, but you need to care
about much stuff, no audio engineer likes to care about and you have to
check the master 20 times before you give away a demo.

That I mentioned recordings of relatively good cymbal samples from a
drum sample player has got a reason.

Regards,
Ralf