Re: [LAU] ground loop hell

From: David Christensen <dpchrist@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2015 - 01:37:59 EET

On 02/12/2015 12:53 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> I will order the boxes (I think 6 lines worth will cover anything
> possible with the mixer we have). I was going to put in a network cable
> anyway (if we use it right now or not) but could aslo put in optic
> line(s). Are they subject to degradation with time if not in use? It is
> not a long run at less than 100ft (this includes running it up above the
> ceiling and dodging open rooms etc. The dx from stage to mix is less
> than 50ft.)

I assume you mean 6 additional digital channels over one Ethernet cable
to supplement your existing snake (?).

I suspect that migrating to digital piece-by-piece could be a painful
and expensive experience if you don't know your exact final
configuration before starting. It's a complex and highly technical
field. The product lines have short life cycles. Compatibility is
tough. Maximum cable distances are surprisingly short (but should be
enough for a small venue). Copper networking equipment is also subject
to ground loops (fiber should not be). Specialized tools and equipment
are required for installation, maintenance, and trouble-shooting. And,
very few people are going to be on top of the learning curve.

For the small venue that you've described, I'd recommend a balanced
analog system throughout, with converters located at unbalanced gear as
necessary.

But if you're going to pull Ethernet cable, understand that cable is
cheap (1,000 ft. box of Category 5e riser cable is $50~100). It's the
labor and/or raceways, enclosures, and, especially, equipment that add
up quickly. Make sure you understand the RFI/EMI interference issues
and prevention measures. (Similar comments apply for analog audio.)

David