Re: [LAU] ground loop hell

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2015 - 03:46:08 EET

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015, David Christensen wrote:

> On 02/11/2015 02:06 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>> That [stage amplifier] isolation is worth having, always. In modern
>> PA systems it's done by using optical fibre snakes. If ever you
>> consider replacing your current gear that would be a good option.
>
> On 02/12/2015 12:53 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>> I will order the boxes (I think 6 lines worth will cover anything
>> possible with the mixer we have). I was going to put in a network cable
>> anyway (if we use it right now or not) but could aslo put in optic
>> line(s). Are they subject to degradation with time if not in use? It is
>> not a long run at less than 100ft (this includes running it up above the
>> ceiling and dodging open rooms etc. The dx from stage to mix is less
>> than 50ft.)
>
> I assume you mean 6 additional digital channels over one Ethernet cable to
> supplement your existing snake (?).

No, not at all. I don't think it is worth it for us at this point. I am
ordering 6 channels of one to one isolation to give isolation for up to 4
monitors and two mains (all mixer outputs to stage). I will put digital
lines (wiring, but no switches or other end points) in during reno so that
in the future we can change things if we like. There are other things
network can be used for besides audio as well. But our audio will stay
analog probably at least as long as this new mixer we just installed
last year.

It is already amazing what new options are available since I picked up the
mixer. I am hoping it will be good for another ten, but even five years
from now, digital could be cheaper than analog... CAT5 could no longer
used for that matter.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net