Re: [LAU] ground loop hell

From: Roger <gurusonic@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2015 - 03:04:35 EET

On 13/02/15 10:37, David Christensen wrote:
> On 02/11/2015 02:06 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > That [stage amplifier] isolation is worth having, always. In modern
> > PA systems it's done by using optical fibre snakes. If ever you
> > consider replacing your current gear that would be a good option.
I assume you mean 6 additional digital channels over one Ethernet cable
to supplement your existing snake (?).
> I suspect that migrating to digital piece-by-piece could be a painful
> and expensive experience if you don't know your exact final
> configuration before starting.
Yes indeed. We run 2 x Digico SD10 and MADIRack connected by coax MADI.
Capacity is 48 mic channels and 24 monitor outputs. It works well but
cost over $AU200,000 just for the front end.

> For the small venue that you've described, I'd recommend a balanced
> analog system throughout, with converters located at unbalanced gear
> as necessary.
Absolutely.

Cheers
Roger