Re: [LAU] running jackd from rc.local

From: Athanasios Silis <athanasios.silis@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 19 2015 - 01:56:55 EEST

Hi Len,
i am using ubuntu studio.
the pc i refer to is used for audio processing and routing primarily - it
is a jack client server.
so without any user intervention apart from powering it ON , it gets audio
through ethernet from the jack master, processes it and sends it out
through its local soundcards.
on occasions I want to log on and use this computer for local audio
capturing and / or playback. so jack would ideally run independent of a
user session. Having said that, I usually don't need to log out and back
in, I tend to lock the system as I am a single user. no need to deal with
multiple user case now.

I use a locally compiled jack2 version without dbus support because I had a
version mismatch between windows and linux jack.
some audio applications (namely calf) need an X server so in my custom
startup scripts I start a vnc session as well.

The problem as I understand it is that after log on, pam.d elevates logged
in user's privileges to access hardware. The main problem is that
alsa_(in|out) is can not grab the local soundcards... and I do not know
what could be the conflict. people over at jack-devel mailing list said it
could bea number of things like pulseaudio or lightdm....

there seems to be a conflict or ideologies because some one suggests I
make a system init script and another says jack is not designed to run as a
system service.

Personally, I think that jack is indeed not designed as a system service,
but I could be wrong. what is more a jack run as root, would never be
available to applications that I would start as a user. is that so?

I think I replied to everything :)