Re: [LAU] Session Management, ALSA MIDI Ports

From: Hendrik <henne-s@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 17 2015 - 21:14:11 EEST

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 01:42:21PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 21:01:08 +0200, Hendrik wrote:
> >On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 08:12:08PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> Did you try aj-snapshot from AUR 3?
> >>
> >> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/aj-snapshot/
> >>

> >No, I didn't try it. Seems also a nice tool, but it looks like it can
> >only save and restore connections, not the presets used in the synths.
>
> That's correct. My approach is to write scripts that restore
> sessions.
>
> Usually it's that simple, that just launching an app followed
> by a path to the settings is needed.
>
> You could also manage desktops with such a script, after launching an
> app e.g. move the window to a workspace
>
> wmctrl -r"JACK Audio Connection Kit" -t1

  Hello Ralf and everyone else on the list,

thanks a lot for your help so far!

Ok. I wrote a small script and it's going nicely. I think, I don't really need
a session manager.

> >When I save the session in qjackctl and restore it, all the sound
> >presets are loaded as expected. (But the MIDI ports are mixed up ...)
>
> In what way are the MIDI ports mixed up?
>
> I'm not using a session manager. Using scripts there's only one issue.
> There's no way to give identical sound cards individual MIDI names.
>
> $ amidi -l
> Dir Device Name
> IO hw:0,0 HDSPMx579bcc MIDI 1
> IO hw:1,0 TerraTec EWX24/96 MIDI
> IO hw:2,0 TerraTec EWX24/96 MIDI
> IO hw:3,0,0 nanoKONTROL MIDI 1
> IO hw:4,0,0 USB Device 0x170b:0x11 MIDI 1
>
> Neither QjackCtl, nor aj-snapshot is able to distinguish the TerraTec
> devices.
>
> Is this the issue you experience? If so, then AFAIK there's nothing you
> can do.

My problem is a little different.
Here's a list of the MIDI Outputs:

neptun% aconnect -o
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 129: 'Hydrogen' [type=user]
    0 'Hydrogen Midi-In'
client 131: 'yoshimi' [type=user]
    0 'input '

These are the ports I can choose from in seq24. The problem is that the
numbering may change when hydrogen and yoshimi are restarted. Therefore some
patterns in seq24 may get played via the wrong MIDI port.
Is there a way to attach hydrogen and yoshimi to a port with a fixed number?

  Best regards,
  Hendrik