Re: [LAU] External arpeggiator and MIDI sync ?

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 24 2015 - 22:01:22 EEST

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>
> > I would like to sync the arpeggiator from a Korg Microstation to
> > Ardour. The user guide says:
> >
> > "the arpeggiator will synchronize to the MIDI Clock and Start
> > messages received from a connected MIDI device."
> >
> > The audio card is a 1010LT. The Microstation is connected through
> > USB and is fully seen in jack (qjackctl). Is it possible to have
> > MIDI sync for the external synth ? How would the wiring be done ?
> > Will there be a need for an Ardour MIDI track for the Start (and
> > possibly Stop) signals ?
>
> Ardour already has a "MIDI clock out" You should be able to "mix"
> this with the midi stream going to the korg if you are using jack
> midi. Connect your normal midi out to the 1010 port going to the korg
> and then connect MIDI clock out to the same 1010 port.
>
> If you are not using a midi channel to do the actual note press input
> then it is only one connection.
>
> Note: I don't have the devices in question so I am just theorizing.

Hmmmm.. The 1010LT has MIDI in and out jacks. Currently not used since
the Korg is connected using USB. In Qjackctl's MIDI pane I see Ardour's
various MIDI connections, MMC, MTC, although in Qjackctl's MIDI pane,
Ardour is by itself. There's nothing else to connect to.

In Qjackctl's ALSA pane there is a 1010LT MIDI out as well as as Korg
MIDI in. Connecting these two does not bring over any sync.

What is this 'jack midi' you have mentioned ?

Is it possible at all to have the MIDI clock signal carried over to the
Korg while only using the USB connector to the Korg ?

Cheers.