Re: [LAU] strings, "droning" project: 249-257

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 01 2015 - 14:25:41 EEST

[Edgar Aichinger]
>Another fact is, that a string has a "sweet spot" in tension, where
>it sounds best. So when stringing an instrument you aim for that by
>choosing material and thickness (besides basic sound characteristics
>you wouldn't mix, like solid metal vs. gut).

It's always a compromise and often a foul one ;) For purely acoustic
instruments in an ensemble or in a large room, I guess that sheer
loudness can at times become vital; it also often seems preferable to
emphasise treble over bass a bit in order to keep the ensemble's
audible impression from becoming too boomy.

Cheers, Tim