Re: [LAU] Getting started editing and playing a score

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 05 2015 - 11:02:22 EEST

Hi,

On 05/10/2015 01:20, worik wrote:
> Friends
>
> I would like to get started editing a simple score and producing some
> sound from it.

What is your main use case?

a) Typesetting a score: i.e. producing a 'print-quality' score for some
'real' performer to play
b) Music composition using standard notation as the main input means
(i.e. as if you had ha paper and pencil score)
c) Mix of the above two

This is what I would suggest for those use cases:

a) Use either a WYSIWYG software such as the suggested MuseScore, or a
music typesetting language. For the latter I'd personally recommend
Lilypond, but there are others such as suggested MUP
b) Use a sequencer which also has notation editing. In my humble opinion
Rosegarden has some of the best notation editing for a sequencer, muse
(the sequencer) also has a notation editor.
c) use b) and then export to some format which you can read and tweak
with a) - for example Rosegarden also has Lilypond export.

> I have tried rosegarden recently but I can get no sound out of it. It
> is far more than I require, as my confidence increases perhaps it is
> what I will need but I simply cannot tell at this point.

You understand that that statement is like saying 'I tried using a car
as transportation means but couldn't get it to move'? Insert keys? Turn
the ignition? Was there petrol? Battery was charged? Did you even open
the door? ... Did you read the manual, search for some tutorial etc.?

> In the past I have used csound, it has a less useful interface (suits
> me) and is the closest to what I want but I need to get a colleague
> entering a score and a text editor will not do.
> I am at my wits end, what I might need is a beginners guide for
> rosegarden, or better still a simpler programme, or virtual keyboard
> (best).

Searching for 'rosegarden tutorial' provides a bunch of probably
relevant links:

http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/en/chapter-1.html
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/tutorials/
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/tutorials/supplemental/piano/
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Musicians_Guide/sect-Musicians_Guide-Rosegarden-Tutorial.htmlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR-gDWL0sDo

> I am completely swamped by all the options that I have and hence am a
> bit paralysed. I can tell that whatever I choose will require a big
> investment in time to learn but I cannot be sure that it is worth the
> investment. And being unable to get any sound at all is very demoralising.

This is probably the right place to ask for help :-)

> PS I have been doing a lot of sound recording and editing with Linux and
> a M-Audio interface (usually) and a PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL when I
> have to mostly into audacity. When I am absolutely forced to (when
> using > 2 tracks where Audacity cannot cope yet) I use audacious. I
> find audacious endlessly irritating for the same problems I outline
> above, so many options, so many knobs, where do I start? But audacity
> pretty much just worked.

Try Aardour ;-)