Re: [LAU] Diagnosing JACK

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 12 2015 - 14:02:03 EEST

On 10.10.2015 01:39, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Less is more, Linux allows to follow the KISS principle. Two sound
> servers and managing that they don't conflict with each other is
> bad engineering. Even if somebody should need PA and jackd in
> parallel, then it's just a work-around, however, most users likely
> need only one sound server and their computer usage would be much
> easier with having only PA or only jackd installed instead of
> both.

Hey,

I just want to chime in with my opinion:

The combination of jack2 and pulseaudio is friggin awesome. It's the
best thing since sliced bread.

Pulseaudio giving me the quite well working ALSA emulation device
which works with all ALSA applications I need. It gives me sweet
things like being able to control per application volume, pretty good
(good enough and way better than the pure ALSA experience ever was -
and yes, I have fiddled for ages with ALSA PCM plugins) software
mixing, etc.. It's true that PA used to suck hard, but it has become
sooo much better.

I just start both at session start. PA and jack2 and have the
pa-jack-sink and source installed. Best of both worlds. They don't
fight each other too much.

The only grief I would mention is that pulseaudio could use a policy
for when the jack server is running and has asked PA to give up the
sound device: In that case it should automatically switch running
applications and the default to the jack sink/source, otherwise apps
might block, due to this still annoying and longstanding ALSA
behaviour of blocking applications when the sound device is busy). But
I guess this would not be too much work to implement as PA nicely
separates policy from other implementation details - maybe it even is
already implemented and just hasn't trickled downstream yet - or I
haven't read enough docs yet.

They do not fight each other but work side by side quite well and it's
a great achievement by the two communities to cooperate that well.
There's still some rough spots, true, but complaining here about it
won't fix anything. There's PA mailing lists and IRC channels.

PAVUControl is an awesome application. I haven't used a DE mixer in
ages, cause they all suck ;) Controlling per app volume, switching
output and input devices on the fly, what's there not to love?

I don't know what people complain about. Disabling PA is possible also
in many ways short of disabling the executable flag.

Have fun, be positive and

regards,
Flo