Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack

From: Chris Caudle <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 22 2015 - 20:02:51 EEST

On Thu, October 22, 2015 4:47 am, Atte wrote:
> I removed jackd1, which took qjackctl with it.

I would call that a mistake in the debian package for qjackctl.

> reinstalled jackd2-firewire (which took jackd2 with it).

Do you mean that installing jackd2-firewire also installed jackd2, or that
when you re-installed jackd2-firewire it forced jackd2 to un-install?

The debian packages seem really strange. I just have experience with
Fedora on my computer used for audio, and the jack package there installs
the firewire and net backends with the main package, there is just an
additional package to add the dbus support (which only adds two more
files, jackdbus and jack_control, all the shared libraries were already
installed by the main jack package).

> Installed qjackctl from source, problem persists.

But did you change the qjackctl option so that it starts jackdbus? I
think the option is in the advanced tab, and has a name something like
"use dbus" or "dbus integration." I am away from my linux machine at the
moment, so I can't check the exact name.

> I have no idea what jackdbus is, which package it belongs to or why
> renoise thinks that's the proper way to start jack...

dbus allows message passing between apps, and allows apps to be notified
for example if a new application wants to take over control of an ALSA
device. It is what allows graceful control change of the ALSA device from
PulseAudio to jackd back to PulseAudio.

--
Chris Caudle