Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack

From: Atte <atte@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 23 2015 - 09:25:02 EEST

On 10/22/2015 07:02 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Thu, October 22, 2015 4:47 am, Atte wrote:
>> I removed jackd1, which took qjackctl with it.
>
> I would call that a mistake in the debian package for qjackctl.

Agreed!

>> reinstalled jackd2-firewire (which took jackd2 with it).
>
> Do you mean that installing jackd2-firewire also installed jackd2, or that
> when you re-installed jackd2-firewire it forced jackd2 to un-install?

I mean that when clean for things jack, installing jackd2-firewire also
installed jackd2. This makes sense to me, since AFAIK jackd2-firewire
simply adds firewire support to jackd2.

> The debian packages seem really strange. I just have experience with
> Fedora on my computer used for audio, and the jack package there installs
> the firewire and net backends with the main package, there is just an
> additional package to add the dbus support (which only adds two more
> files, jackdbus and jack_control, all the shared libraries were already
> installed by the main jack package).

It seems the same things is happening on debian.

>> Installed qjackctl from source, problem persists.
>
> But did you change the qjackctl option so that it starts jackdbus? I
> think the option is in the advanced tab, and has a name something like
> "use dbus" or "dbus integration." I am away from my linux machine at the
> moment, so I can't check the exact name.

I played with it, but couldn't make it start jackdbus. The advanced
dialog has a "Server prefix"/Server path (command line prefix) where it
currently says "jackd". It's a list that also contains "jackdmp" and
"jackstart" none of which works (I get an error "could not start jack,
sorry"). I tried typing "jackdbus" here which also didn't work, with the
error "Could not connect to the jack server as client".

Renoise main dev, taktik, replied on the renoise forum:
"It's not Renoise which starts Jack in case it's not running. Jack does
so by its own, as soon as the first client uses jack an no jack server
is running."

Cheers

--
Atte