Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack

From: Kaza Kore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 23 2015 - 12:26:47 EEST

> Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 08:25:02 +0200
> From: atte@email-addr-hidden
> To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
> Subject: Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack
>
> Renoise main dev, taktik, replied on the renoise forum:
> "It's not Renoise which starts Jack in case it's not running. Jack does
> so by its own, as soon as the first client uses jack an no jack server
> is running."

And that doesn't seem right! I start any other Jack application I have without the Jack server running and I just get no playback! Jack in no way ever starts itself in my experience. (Mind I haven't played with Renoise since 2.x) but it definitely seems Renoise must be asking it to start, which sounds possibly like part of the dbus protocol but I'm in no way sure and obviously it could be written to do either (otherwise the likes of qjackctl wouldn't be able to do either.) But if Renoise gives you options to adjust buffers etc while connected to the Jack server I believe from these conversations that relies on the dbus connectivity.

Regards, Dale.