Re: [LAU] Migrating from Garage Band to Free Software: Choices?

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 27 2015 - 14:45:09 EET

On 10/27/2015 09:21 AM, Nils Gey wrote:
> Gradus Ad Parnassum is a really bad method, musically as well as
> pedagogical, with little connection to the actual counterpoint methods
> of the 16th century (or later).
> It leads to music that you cannot find anywhere in the real music world.

So what? I'm not judging the efficacy of the tool at all.

> I doubt any of the composers you mentioned actually used that. If you
> think so otherwise it needs more than claiming that they did. Show
> falsifiable evidence.

Just reading the preface of the translation by Mann

"Haydn took infinite pains to assimilate the theory of Fux. [...]
laboriously writing out the exercises".

"Mozart studied Fux's work under the influence of his father" -- copy
with father's notes still exists in Salzburg

"Beethoven himself subsequently wrote out an "Introduction to Fux's
Study of Counterpoint".

Brahms' copy with notes still exists ...

//