Re: [LAU] Migrating from Garage Band to Free Software: Choices?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Oct 27 2015 - 15:51:48 EET

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 08:15:52 -0400, David Santamauro wrote:
>On 10/27/2015 06:23 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Resume: If you want to play hobby music in the style of other
>> artists some software tools make it easy to do so, but you never
>> will find your individual style. If you want to make art, you have
>> to find your own sound, this is time consuming and comes with a long
>> learning curve, you can't do it as easy as playing hobby music.
>
>Simply amazing that the likes of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Berlioz,
>Chopin, Rosini, Paganini, Liszt, Brahms and numerous others (including
>myself) spanning 2 centuries used the same counterpoint "tool"

To bad that you didn't quote me correctly.

1. I mentioned that it isn't just black and white.
2. You are confusing music theory with GarageBand's autoplay and home
   organ's drum patterns.
3. I explained reasons that even soundfonts with good sounds could
   sound weak, if sounds e.g. should sound like a real played guitar,
   while it's played by a keyboard.

I neither know all features provided by GarageBand nor all available
Linux software. I briefly tested GarageBand a few minutes after reading
this thread. My impression is, that using GarageBand you can record a
song within a few minutes, that would take hours using DAWs such as
Qtractor, Rosegarden, Ardour, Cubase, Music Studio etc., IOW the
limitation of such DAWs is a special kind of missing automation, to
e.g. make a guitar sample sound as a real played guitar. There might be
tools available you can use to get the same kind of automation for
Qtractor, Rosegarden, Ardour, but it's not built-in.

What software and what soundfonts to use, depends on the needs. The
needed soundfonts might be not for free and some needed tools might be
not available for Linux, OTOH some good soundfonts likely are for free
and a lot of tools are available for Linux.

So if somebody should be satisfied with GarageBand, but not with Linux
software, we need to know what sounds are wanted, for what kind of
music, then we perhaps could recommend soundfonts, Linux tools
and playing techniques.

I doubt that GarageBand users could improve their Linux experiences by
using "Gradus Ad Parnassum, Johann Joseph Fux".

Regards,
Ralf