Re: [LAU] Ardour4 and named jack?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 05 2015 - 01:30:17 EET

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 12:43:12PM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>
> > I think the reference was to qjackctl and not jack itself. The GUI
> > can only run one instance of jack anyway (and one instance of
> > itself).
>
> Qjackctl defeats any sort of logic and common sense, but that's
> no reason to cripple Ardour as well.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Ardour or Qjackctl.

The "named server" option requires that an environment variable be set in
the environment of every client that wants to use a server started with
this option.

While this may be a cute hack for people who want to do things like running
two jack servers on a single machine, it has been NOTHING but a source of
utter confusion for almost all users, since there is no indication that its
use requires an environment variable.

Running two servers on one machine might be interesting for 1% or less of
JACK users, but catering it to it in any significant way is just another
reason why JACK continues to sit around unused by many people who could
otherwise have really benefitted from it.

Anyway, qjackctl's most recent version no longer exposes the option in the
basic options tab, which will hopefully cut down on the number of users who
mistakenly think that this option is some handy feature related to presets
or something.

> The whole new startup logic in Ardour4 is IMHO a big regression.
> Probably meant to be 'user friendly' but the effect is the
> opposite.

No, its related to the presence of multiple backends. Build Ardour with
ONLY the JACK backend, and ensure that JACK is already running, and you'll
basically never see the dialog.

But build it with more than one backend, and the user needs ways to choose
the backend, at which point, things start to get much more complex than
they otherwise would be.