[LAU] [SOLVED] Re: jackd without MIDI

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 24 2015 - 16:38:10 EET

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 20:59:39 -0500
"jonetsu@email-addr-hidden" <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Currently, qjakctl shows 'none' for MIDI driver
> (option located at bottom right). They 'recommend using jack over ALSA
> alone'. I would like to give this a try. Is there something else to
> do to disable jackd MIDI support and have ALSA instead ?

This was solved by using virtual MIDI interfaces and a2j with hardware
support. The virtual MIDI interfaces are started at boot time. Then
s2j is started:

% a2j_control ehw start

Then Ardour (Renoise, etc...) can be started and work with as usual.
For Bitwig, the external MIDI controller, shown in the MIDI tab of
qjackctl, is connected to the first virtual MIDI input, and Bitwig is
told to use that virmidi. That way the MIDI controller can be used in
all applications.

The next step could be to have MIDI channels for each of the plugins.
A synth in Bitwig would be on channel 1, a sample in Renoise triggered
from channel 2, another synth in Ardour from channel 3, etc.. With the
controller changing MIDI channel as needed.