Re: [LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2015 - 02:42:08 EET

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:48:33 -0500 (EST), Karen Lewellen wrote:
>distributions specifically written for audio professionals

Software for Linux distributions isn't individually written for a
distro, excepted of a few tools, such as package management tools.
Distros are collections of software written to run together with a Linux
kernel, but this software could be used by every distro.

Audio distros usually are derivatives of a major non-audio distro.

The difference between distros is the policy regarding
- licenses
- the package management
- the way software is upgraded or not upgraded

As already pointed out by Len, command line isn't an issue for any
distro, the default login shell for most, if not all distros most
likely is bash. The sh link for some older distros might default to
dash, but usually defaults to bash either. Other shells are very
unusual for Linux.

For command line work you should be able to be aware of bash and it's
safe to know the differences to dash, but that isn't that hard, other
shells are unimportant. This is the same for all distros. Regarding
command line the differences between distros are mostly package
management related tools.

There are few minor differences that are unimportant, e.g. the source
for /bin/su has impact to the way variables get reset. This not really
has much impact to the command line usage.

IOW you need to take a look at the policies of the distros. If you want
to compile software from upstream, what is required to do this? Latest
versions of libraries or are older versions ok? Is the policy of the
distro to provide upgrades close to upstream, or is the policy to
provide a steady work-flow by only providing security related upgrades?
Etc. ... I already gave a few hints by my previous reply.

>Why did this discussion shift to my hardware synthesizer

F. Silvain likely mentions BRLTTY, because you mentioned that you need
old kernels to use your synth.

--
http://www.grundgesetz-gratis.de/