Re: [LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2015 - 04:03:18 EET

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:12:58 -0500 (EST), Karen Lewellen wrote:
>what I am asking is which distros among the sort referenced in the
>article above, are going to be already compiled with an easy door to
>the command line?
>Or, does one just run a keyboard command like Lyn <I think > provided?

Yes, all distros provide it by a keyboard shortcut as mentioned by Len.

They are provided by the function keys and they are not necessarily the
same by default, nowadays they are usually Ctrl+Alt+F1 to Ctrl+Alt+F6
and to get back the window manager Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Since you mentioned the speech synth I assume you're visually impaired.
For those using GUI's, I recommend to install a terminal emulation named
roxterm, there is no better terminal emulation available.

I use an openbox shortcut to open roxterm and once it's running the
same shortcut to open roxterm tabs, on Arch Linux and Ubuntu.

The login shell most likely is bash, so the command line behaves in the
bash style and the settings are in your home [1].

Globbing (the way wildcards work), basic commands (bashisms) are the
same for all distros.

[1]
[rocketmouse@email-addr-hidden ~]$ ls -Ggh .bash*
-rw------- 1 9.8K Dec 22 02:17 .bash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 21 Jan 27 2013 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r-- 1 57 Jan 27 2013 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r-- 1 2.5K Oct 23 02:00 .bashrc