Re: [LAU] Second solstice EP from metal band Seed of Heresy

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Dec 23 2015 - 15:00:58 EET

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 12:54:05 +0100, Bent Bisballe Nyeng wrote:
>our intention is that we want to challenge the way people listen
>to/use music

There's nothing wrong with this approach, a lot of musicians already
did this, but you need to be aware that listeners then don't focus upon
the artwork, they focus upon the educational lesson and they will treat
your artwork the same way, as they treat old schoolbooks. Listeners
want to enjoy music, the way they like it, the way they are used to
listen to music. Assumed they want to learn something about music, e.g.
how to listen to music, then they decide to learn, e.g. to take
lessons. If you mix an educational approach with presenting your music
as artwork, the presentation of your music as artwork will fail. Even
educated listeners, musicians, tend to rip out segments even from
operas, that are not split into songs. Listeners get stressed by
educational approaches. They like to listen to music to escape stress,
not to enhance stress. Do your artwork a favour, allow it to be
artwork, don't degrade it to education ;). I'm not especially speaking
about what you did, I'm talking about the general approach to mix music
education with the artwork, in what way ever. Music education is music
education and artwork is artwork. If it's part of the design that your
jeans have holes it's ok, if you sell your jeans with holes to teach
customers sewing, they unlikely will buy it.

2 Cents,
Ralf