Re: [LAU] Second solstice EP from metal band Seed of Heresy (updated mix)

From: Bent Bisballe Nyeng <deva@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 28 2015 - 12:58:07 EET

On 12/23/15 14:00, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 12:54:05 +0100, Bent Bisballe Nyeng wrote:
>> our intention is that we want to challenge the way people listen
>> to/use music
>
> There's nothing wrong with this approach, a lot of musicians already
> did this, but you need to be aware that listeners then don't focus upon
> the artwork, they focus upon the educational lesson and they will treat
> your artwork the same way, as they treat old schoolbooks. Listeners
> want to enjoy music, the way they like it, the way they are used to
> listen to music. Assumed they want to learn something about music, e.g.
> how to listen to music, then they decide to learn, e.g. to take
> lessons. If you mix an educational approach with presenting your music
> as artwork, the presentation of your music as artwork will fail. Even
> educated listeners, musicians, tend to rip out segments even from
> operas, that are not split into songs. Listeners get stressed by
> educational approaches. They like to listen to music to escape stress,
> not to enhance stress. Do your artwork a favour, allow it to be
> artwork, don't degrade it to education ;). I'm not especially speaking
> about what you did, I'm talking about the general approach to mix music
> education with the artwork, in what way ever. Music education is music
> education and artwork is artwork. If it's part of the design that your
> jeans have holes it's ok, if you sell your jeans with holes to teach
> customers sewing, they unlikely will buy it.
>
> 2 Cents,
> Ralf

I fail to see our approach as 'education' but since I already started
being annoyed by the lack of "album names" in my player I decided to add
the release year in the album name field.

We also fixed a lot of issues with the mix which sounds a lot cleaner now.

Finally I managed to finish my work on the cover which (as last year) is
in html rather than jpeg.

Find the whole thing in all it's glory at http://seedofheresy.com/

Kind regards
Bent Bisballe Nyeng