[LAU] Routing MIDI Channels between ALSA and JACK

From: Nacho Otal <nachootal@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 10 2016 - 14:26:38 EET

Hello,

I’m working on a project where we’d like to interface a MIDI board (livid’s brain jr.) to the IDJC application (http://idjc.sourceforge.net <http://idjc.sourceforge.net/>).

As of by now, we’re able to configure the board and send MIDI commands through the USB port to the Ubuntu Studio that is our development box.

However, and as you’ll see in the attached screenshot (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ss9i5bwaqzs5ays/idjc.png?dl=0), IDJC is only able to retrieve MIDI Commands from JACK and not from ALSA.

I understand that there’s a way to route the MIDI channels from ALSA to JACK and this can be done through ALSA PATCH BAY (http://pkl.net/~node/software/alsa-patch-bay/ <http://pkl.net/~node/software/alsa-patch-bay/> ) for example.

I’d be glad if you could drop some lines to this conversation, I have in fact two questions:

1.- Does anybody have an experience with the livid brain jr, ALSA, JACK and IDJC?
2.- Is there a possibility to route directly midi commands to JACK avoiding ALSA?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Cheers,
Nacho