Re: [LAU] [Music] jam15

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 27 2016 - 02:56:02 EEST

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 15:40:39 -0700
"Glen MacArthur" <info@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> >
> > This one has a slight jazzy feel to it. An improvisation.
> >
> > https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/jam15

> An interesting piece for sure, very polyrhythmic especially once the
> congas get involved. Well mixed and produced as well. I'm not sure if
> I love how the lead 'horns' play with against the polyrhythm in a few
> places, the timing seems too 'straight' and forced against the beat,
> but hey if it's improv, that's how it went down!
>
> Nice job!

Thanks !

Everything is a call in such a short time. As soon as something seems
OK, it's taken without further ado. The horns' slow attack makes it
difficult to not sound straight, but then the timbre of the sound added
some 'spacey' element I liked, whose offset to the rhythm made a nice
contradiction. So I went with it. If more time was spent the attack
could be adjusted more to the point to keep some vagueness but also at
the same time to be able to play more with the rhythm.

The bass for instance could also be remade but the call was made, enough
time fiddling with this, let's transfer that for mixing and see what
it's like.

As for the improv there's something special about it in general. At
the beginning of the day none of this existed, not a single riff or
sound. Quite early this morning after breakfast I thought of getting to
know more about synthesis while having some tea. Eventually I would
like to create sounds. ... And then this emerged. New sounds and rhythm
coordinated together and shared. There's something about this, but I
don't know what.

Cheers.