Re: [LAU] [Music] Sans titre - Without title

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 16 2016 - 17:32:27 EEST

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> Regarding the previous discussion on preamp, is it possible to
> summarize that in this case, with the 1010LT card, the (ART MPAII)
> preamp would raise, bring focus to the sounds captured by the mic over
> the noise level ? I had to fade down at the end the piece mentioned in
> that discussion because the noise level became so apparent as the
> acoustic guitar sounds faded that it was an incompatible artistic
> statement. If a preamp actually raises the sound of the instrument
> well above the noise level, then I'm sold. The MPA II claims 75dB.

The question is where the noise comes from. My experience with ART is that
the noise level is quite good (I have a cheaper version). But if I crank
the gain to full sometimes the last little bit of gain adds more noise
than would be expected from the knob travel. It may be that the gain is in
fact beyond the 75dB gain advertized when it gets noisy.

Also, the fade at the end of a song does not have to be done at master. I
often fade some tracks faster than others. (lead guitar almost always)

Then there is just general acoustic noise in the studio. I like the sound
better with the mic farther away from the source (12 to 18 inches), but
that does pick up noise in the studio... so I have to ballance that.

Last of all... as was suggested, use the 1010LTs line inputs, not the mic
inputs (the two XLRs are mic level and will be noisy) This means the RCA
plugs on the 1010. (unballanced yes) The MPAII should have no problem with
being unballanced (use the 1/4 inch outputs on the MPAII) keep the lines
short (6 foot or less, not 50 feet) Probably setting the MPAII to +4 and
using the ADC level in mudita24 to keep the 1010 from clipping will give
best results, but it would not hurt to try -10 also with the ADC level
higher. Let your ears and meters judge.

NOTE: I have used 50 foot unballanced lines before and have not found a
great difference in sound (ie. I didn't really notice andthing) but in
this case you are aiming for best possible with what you have, so short
lines make sense. The mike lines can be the standard 35 foot if needed.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net