Re: [LAU] Audio interface for newbies ?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Aug 27 2016 - 01:45:01 EEST

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:51:25 -0400, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 22:50:27 +0200 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Why isn't it happening all the times, if the capacitors are dried
>> out?
>There would be a transition time I think.

This could be possible.

If they are dried out, then capacitance got lost. If the the oxide
coating is broken, they short.

Assuming that there is dark scum on the PCB around the capacitor, resp.
on the rubber thingy on the bottom of the capacitor, then it's dried
out.

Assuming the top of the capacitor is bloated, then the capacitor is
broken, too.

If you can't see something, they could be broken, too. However, if you
can't see that they are broken, then take their function into account.

What is a capacitor used for, that could cause delayed trouble, if it's
broken, instead of causing the trouble all the times?

IIUC you hear the crackling only, if there is an audio signal, there's
no crackling, without an audio signal.

If the crackling happens, does show top something unusual?
Maybe upowerd or something else turns nasty?

What happens if you don't use two sound servers at the same time? Have
you tested Firefox using plain ALSA, while neither pulseaudio, nor
jackd are running?

Regards,
Ralf