Re: [LAU] Replacement for a 1010LT

From: William Light <wrl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 27 2016 - 02:15:42 EEST

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016, at 11:23, jonetsu@teksavvy.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What's there on the market nowadays that works very well in Linux ?
>
> I use many in/out lines on the 1010LT. I use 5 line outs, 4 line
> ins, 2 XLR ins. I find it practical not having to re-connect things.
> Nice for recording. And also, not needing extra hardware to connect
> many lines to an interface limited in I/O is good.
>
> The replacement audio card should have a good number of I/o lines, as
> well as XLR inputs.
>
> Just got recently an ART MPA II pre-amp which I'm slowly exploring. So
> phantom power from an audio interface is not a criteria.

Unrelated, but consider replacing the tubes in that MPA. I swapped the
stock (unbranded) tubes in mine with a set of JJ 12AX7 and it improved
the sound markedly. Cheap upgrade, too: the JJ tubes ran me about €12
apiece.

On the subject of the audio interfaces, I've been having an excellent
time with an RME Multiface + the HDSP PCI card. Can be had on ebay for a
couple hundred and well worth it. It's getting on there in years, but
it's aged wonderfully, and it has 8 channels of ADAT optical i/o if you
want to add more channels in the future (which I did).

-w